RESTRUCTURING OF INTERNAL AUDIT AND ESTABLISHMENT OF EXAMINATION OFFICE
The restructuring of the Internal Audit Department was guided by the Public Finance Management Act Regulation 162(2). In addition, these was also guided by the Chancellor’s Visitation Panel whereby in the committee report dated August 2018, that Internal Audit was previously dedicating a lot of time on pre-audit of documents, which occupied on average 94% of the Internal Audit working hours.
The Department migrated from Pre-Audit to Post-Audit System with effect from June 2nd 2020 and thereafter Finance Examination Section in Finance Department was created as guided by Treasury Circular No.21/2003 dated October 7, 2003.
The new department was launched by the Vice Chancellor on June 2, 2020,
- That Internal Audit Department is now centralized with a total of twenty-one (21) internal auditors previously based in Colleges are now operating from the Central Administration.
- The auditors are serving the Six Colleges including Kenya Science Campus, ODel Unit, Student Welfare Authority (SWA) and University Health Services
- The Internal Auditors are now more independent, efficient in service delivery due to frequent rotation of allocated assignments and a wider coverage of audit universe (areas) due to dedication of full time working hours.
- The Internal Audit Department has commenced the implementation of Enterprise Risk Management in the University.
- The department is in the process of automating the risk based audit processes through acquisition of an Audit Management Information System as well as a systems audit reporting platform.